This is my friend’s recipe adapted by myself to utilize the excess of homemade yogurt and cheeses. It seams to be a bit weird combination: sweetened batter and savory filling. But eventually it gets very tasty, tender and a bit crispy around the edges.
400 ml plain yogurt
80 ml olive oil
250 g plain flour
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100 g plain tofu (soy cheese)
150 g feta cheese
3 bunches of regular spinach [roughly 500 grams]
1 bunch of parsley, chopped
black and white sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Lightly grease Ø 26 cm baking dish with olive oil.
- Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, olive oil. Add salt, sugar and whisk again. Combine flour and baking powder and stir into the batter.
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet. Add the spinach (chopped and stems removed) and blanch on a low heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Squeeze the excess of water.
- Combine cubed tofu, feta cheese, spinach, parsley and season with peppers and salt.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into the baking dish. Place the filling evenly. Pour the remaining batter over the filling. Bake about 20 minutes and prick with a fork small holes all over the surface (this helps steam escape and keeps dough from rising too much). Bake for another 20-25 minutes until brown and the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for a while, slice and serve!