This banana cake is like out of this world for me:D Perhaps only smør makes it nordic. Anyhow, it is one of my favorites that can be made anywhere, anytime. Besides it just gets better and more moist each day. I made cream cheese frosting which is always fantastic, it just wasn’t photographed:) Enjoy!:)
- 1½ cups smashed very ripe bananas, 3 or 4 bananas
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 200 g softened butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk/plain yogurt/sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 150 g almond meal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- chopped almonds for topping, optionally
Cream cheese frosting
- 2 packs cream cheese (Philadelphia 200g x 2)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a medium baking dish. Smash the bananas and mix in the lemon juice and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix just until combined. Add vanilla, salt, and buttermilk/yogurt. Stir in banana puree and lemon juice. Add ground almonds, baking soda, cinnamon and flour mix.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the baking dish. Sprinkle with some chopped almonds (almond flakes). Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center of cake. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- To make cream cheese frosting: combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Spread over the cake.